101 Films’ next two releases in their growing AGFA (American Genre Film Archive) collection offer two more cult curiosos that will certainly fascinate and beguile those with an appreciation for low-budget shocks. With a disturbing carnival romp and a uniquely intriguing true crime thriller joining their catalogue, there’s no time like now to start collecting these stellar releases from 101 Films and AGFA.
We unboxed the two new entries…
SHE FREAK 
Fed up with waitressing, Jade Cochran (Claire Brennen) embarks on a new life with a traveling carnival. But she discovers that what lurks behind the curtain doesn’t take too kindly to her backstabbing plans. A gutter-noir reworking of Tod Browning’s Freaks and a valentine to the carnival lifestyle that defined the career of producer David F. Friedman, She Freak is a snapshot of life, love, and revenge on the grounds of a seedy carnival in Smalltown, USA — complete with crackpot monster make-up effects from Harry Thomas (Plan 9 From Outer Space). Like Devo’s music and Ed Wood’s novels, She Freak creates a synthetic reality that is often preferable to our own. AGFA + Something Weird are beyond excited to present a dazzling 4K restoration of this essential weirdo classic.
- 4K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
- Archival commentary with producer David F. Friedman and Something Weird founder Mike Vraney
- ASYLUM OF THE INSANE: SHE FREAK inserts preserved in 2K
- THE LAUGHING, LEERING, LAMPOONING LURES OF DAVID F. FRIEDMAN: a feature-length compilation of trailers from the Something Weird vaults, newly preserved in 2K
- Vintage shorts from the carnival midway
- Promotional photo gallery
- Booklet with essay by Something Weird’s Lisa Petrucci
- Reversible cover artwork
THE ZODIAC KILLER 
Directed by Tom Hanson, who had previously owned a chain of Pizza Man restaurants, The Zodiac Killer was made to capture the real-life Zodiac Killer. That plan didn’t work. Instead, we got the most outrageous and compelling “tabloid horror” vortex in the history of planet Earth. And beyond. During theatrical screenings, Hanson constructed in-cinema “traps” to lure the killer from hiding. These included the use of an ice cream freezer filled with rent-a-cops and a raffle with a motorcycle as a prize. You won’t get insight like this by watching a David Fincher movie. But you will get it while watching The Zodiac Killer.
- Audio Commentary with director Tom Hanson and producer Manny Nedwick
- On-camera interview with director Tom Hanson and producer Manny Nedwick
- Bonus movie: ANOTHER SON OF SAM (1977)
- Tabloid-horror trailers from the AGFA archive
- Liner notes and director Tom Hanson interview by Chris Poggiali of TEMPLE OF SCHLOCK
- Reversible cover artwork
SHE FREAK and THE ZODIAC KILLER are available on Limited Edition Blu-ray from 101 Films/AGFA on March 14 2022