To celebrate the release of the Criterion Collection edition of Mississippi Masala we’ve got TWO Blu-ray copies to give away!
Who directed Mississippi Masala?
A) Gurinder Chadha
B) Danny Boyle
C) Mira Nair
SEND YOUR ENTRY TO COMPETITIONS@FILMJUICE.COM WITH THE ANSWER IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL. INCLUDE FULL CONTACT DETAILS. GOOD LUCK!
Competition Ends: 12th January 2022
The vibrant cultures of India, Uganda, and the American South come together in Mississippi Masala by MIRA NAIR (Monsoon Wedding), a luminous look at the complexities of love in the modern melting pot. Years after her Indian family was forced to flee their home in Uganda by the dictatorship of Idi Amin, twenty-something Mina (Homeland’s SARITA CHOUDHURY) spends her days cleaning rooms in an Indian-run motel in Mississippi. When she falls for the charming Black carpet cleaner Demetrius (The Tragedy of Macbeth’s DENZEL WASHINGTON), their passionate romance challenges the prejudices of both of their families and exposes the rifts between the region’s Indian and African American communities. Tackling thorny issues of racism, colourism, culture clash, and displacement with bighearted humour and keen insight, Nair serves up a sweet, sexy, and deeply satisfying celebration of love’s power.
UK | 1991 | 117 MINUTES | COLOUR | 1.85:1 | ENGLISH/SWAHILI
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director Mira Nair and director of photography Ed Lachman, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New audio commentary featuring Nair
- New conversation between actor Sarita Choudhury and film critic Devika Girish
- New interviews with Lachman, screenwriter Sooni Taraporevala, and production designer and photographer Mitch Epstein
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing