To celebrate the release of the Criterion Collection edition of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen we’ve got TWO Blu-ray copies to give away!
Which former child star and now celebrated filmmaker stars in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen?
A) Drew Barrymore
B) Sarah Polley
C) Ron Howard
SEND YOUR ENTRY TO COMPETITIONS@FILMJUICE.COM WITH THE ANSWER IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL. INCLUDE FULL CONTACT DETAILS. GOOD LUCK!
Competition Ends: 29th February 2023
The boundless imagination of TERRY GILLIAM (Brazil) yields a dazzling fantasy of epic proportions. Inspired by the extravagant exploits of the fabled Baron Munchausen, this spectacle—born of a famously turbulent production—follows the whimsical eighteenth-century nobleman (The X-Files’ JOHN NEVILLE) as he embarks on an outlandish quest that takes him from faraway lands to the moon to the belly of a sea monster and beyond, meanwhile waging battle against a vengeful sultan and the tyranny of logic. Packed frame to frame with special effects, mischievous wit, and colourful performances—including a young SARAH POLLEY (The Sweet Hereafter) as the Baron’s no-nonsense sidekick— the Oscar-nominated The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is a lavish celebration of the triumph of make-believe over reality.
USA | 1988 | 126 MINUTES | COLOUR | 1.85:1 | ENGLISH
DIRECTOR APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
- New 4K digital restoration, approved by writer-director Terry Gilliam, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
- Audio commentary featuring Gilliam and his co-screenwriter, Charles McKeown
- Documentary on the making of the film
- New video essay by critic and filmmaker David Cairns about the history of the Baron Munchausen character
- Behind-the-scenes footage of the film’s special effects, narrated by Gilliam
- Deleted scenes with commentary by Gilliam
- Storyboards for unfilmed scenes, narrated by Gilliam and McKeown
- Original marketing materials including a trailer and electronic-press-kit featurettes, as well as preview cards and advertising proposals read by Gilliam
- Miracle of Flight (1974), an animated short film by Gilliam
- Episode of The South Bank Show from 1991 on Gilliam
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by critic and author Michael Koresky