Four years before The Matrix changed cinema forever, Keanu Reeves starred in a cyberpunk sci-fi thriller that paved the way for Neo in more ways than you might expect. This hidden gem of 90s cinema has been released on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK from 101 Films, as title #025 in their acclaimed Black Label series. You can find more information about this film in our review here.
We took a look at this beautiful new Limited Edition Blu-ray…
101 Films presents Robert Longo’s cyberpunk classic Johnny Mnemonic (1995), released on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK. Adapted for the screen by visionary writer William Gibson from his own short story, and starring Keanu Reeves in a role that paved the way for his lead role in the Matrix series, Johnny Mnemonic is a futuristic thrill-ride that will blow your mind.
It’s the year 2021 and Johnny (Keanu Reeves) is a data courier with a secret: he is carrying a dangerous stash of information in his mind and must race against time, money and gangsters to deliver the package and save himself. Accompanied by physically enhanced bodyguard Jane (Dina Meyer), Johnny sets out to acquire the passwords he needs to save himself. Worse yet, he is hunted by gangster Shinji (Denis Akiyama) and businessman Takahashi (Takeshi), both of whom seek the data Johnny possesses.
Brand New Extras
- Audio commentary by film critic Rich Johnson
- Limited Edition Booklet: Features ‘Future Proof: A Cyberpunk 101’ by Rich Johnson and ‘The Semiotic Ghosts of William Gibson’ by Brian J. Robb
- Limited Edition packaging with new artwork by Lucas Peverill
- Set of six art cards – reproductions of Spanish lobby cards
- Tomorrow Calling (1993), a short film adaptation of William Gibson’s short story The Gernsback Continuum
- Commentary with director Robert Longo
- Japanese Director’s cut
- Behind the Scenes
- Interviews from the shoot
- Music video