Wyatt Earp has long fascinated filmmakers. Actors from Burt Lancaster and James Stewart to Kurt Russell and Kevin Costner have played the legendary gunfighter, but no portrayal is more definitive that Henry Fonda’s in My Darling Clementine.
John Ford’s first Western since his seminal Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine ranks among the director’s finest. Telling the story of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and the friendship between Earp and Doc Holliday, Ford renders this famous tale into a lyrical masterpiece, filmed in his beloved Monument Valley and full of iconic moments.
This limited edition contains two versions of the Western classic – the version that premiered in cinemas in December 1946 and the longer ‘pre-release’ cut that had played to preview audiences earlier that year – as well as another Wyatt Earp movie from 20th Century Fox, Allan Dwan’s Frontier Marshal starring Randolph Scott and Cesar Romero.
LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of My Darling Clementine’s theatrical and ‘pre-release’ versions and Frontier Marshal
- Original uncompressed PCM mono 1.0 sound
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw
BLU-RAY DISC 1: MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (THEATRICAL VERSION):
- 4K digital film restoration
- Commentary on the theatrical version by author Scott Eyman and Earp’s grandson, Wyatt Earp III
- John Ford and Monument Valley – a 2013 documentary on the director’s lifelong association with Utah’s Monument Valley containing interviews with Peter Cowie (author of John Ford and the American West), John Ford, John Wayne, Henry Fonda, James Stewart and Martin Scorsese
- Movie Masterclass – a 1988 episode of the Channel 4 series, devoted to My Darling Clementine and presented by Lindsay Anderson
- Lost and Gone Forever – a visual essay by Tag Gallagher on the themes that run through My Darling Clementine and the film’s relationship with John Ford’s other works
- Stills gallery
- Theatrical Trailer
BLU-RAY DISC 2: MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (‘PRE-RELEASE’ VERSION), FRONTIER MARSHAL AND OTHER WYATT EARP TALES [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]:
- 2K digital film restoration of the ‘pre-release’ version of My Darling Clementine
- What is the Pre-Release Version? – a documentary by Robert Gitt, Senior Film Preservation Officer at the UCLA Film and Television Archive, comparing the two versions of My Darling Clementine
- High Definition digital film transfer of Frontier Marshal, Allan Dwan’s 1939 Wyatt Earp film starring Randolph Scott
- Two radio plays inspired by Wyatt Earp – a 1947 adaptation of My Darling Clementine starring Henry Fonda as Earp and Richard Conte as Doc Holliday, and a 1949 Hallmark Playhouse production in which Conte played the role of Earp
- Frontier Marshall Theatrical Trailer
40-PAGE BOOKLET [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
- Booklet containing new writing on My Darling Clementine by Kim Newman (author of Wild West Movies) and on Frontier Marshal by Glenn Kenny, plus an extensive archive interview with screenwriter Winston Miller, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
- More to be announced!